Find an Exercise That's Enjoyable
If you like the workout, you'll do it more
Some people like to walk on a treadmill at the gym. Others find that kind of activity boring and like to exercise outdoors. Others prefer quiet time and exercise alone.
The key to sticking with exercise is to make it interesting and enjoyable. Do things you enjoy but pick up the pace. Be creative and try new activities to keep up your interest.
- Take dancing lessons.
- Sign up for an aerobics class.
- Walk briskly or jog and listen to your favorite tunes.
- Play catch with your dog or grandchildren.
- Go hiking or rock climbing.
- Grab a paddle and go canoeing.
- Join a soccer or basketball league.
- Make friends in an exercise class.
- Organize a walking group with friends or co-workers.
- Swim laps.
- Spend an hour at the batting cage.
- Use an exercise video at home.
- Lift weights while you watch TV.
- Do balance exercises while waiting in line.
- Walk on a treadmill while you listen to an audio book.
This article adapted from material from The NIH Go4Life website.