Your Dog Can Be Your Best Friend for a Healthier Lifestyle
Take the dog for a walk, or a run, as a daily exercise routine
Being physically active can be more fun when you’re with someone else, but that someone else doesn’t have to be a person.
Here are some tips to help you and your dog have a great time being active together. It will help you both stay fit and healthy.
Set Up a Routine and Have Fun
- Dogs, like people, are creatures of habit. Go for walks and play about the same time each day.
- Make a plan with a neighbor to walk the dogs together.
- Take a brisk walk to your local dog park.
Walks are great, but consider other activities, too.
- A game of catch is a classic.
- Agility training — create a mini-obstacle course in your yard or at the park; together, move around, through, and even under the items.
Keep Safety in Mind
- Stay hydrated. On long walks, bring water for both you and your dog.
- In hot weather, go out in the morning or evening, when it’s cooler.
- In cold and snowy weather, wear boots with good traction. Check your dog’s paws and remove snow and ice from its footpads.
- Check yourself and your dog for ticks if you’ve been walking in the woods together.
This material is provided by Go4Life , the exercise and physical activity campaign for adults over 50 from the National Institute on Aging at NIH.