3 Tips to Start and Maintain an Exercise Program
Finding joy in exercising makes it easier to keep going
Adapted from NIH/National Institute on Aging | October 31, 2012
Like most people, you have probably heard that exercise and physical activity are good for you.
Here are three tips to help you get started and keep going.
1. Include physical activity in your everyday life.
- Make it a priority. Put physical activity on your “to do” list every day.
- Make it easy and fun. Do things you enjoy, but pick up the pace a bit.
- Make it social. Ask a friend or family member to be your “exercise buddy.”
- Make it happen. Choose to be active in many places and in many ways.
2. Try all four types of exercise.
To help you get the most health benefits, choose each of the four types of exercise:
3. Plan for breaks in your routine
Vacation? Flu? Out-of-town guests? Many things can interrupt your physical activity routine, but you can start exercising again and be successful.
- Go easy on yourself. You are not alone.
- The sooner you resume some sort of activity, the easier it will be to get back into your routine.
- Think about the reasons you started exercising.
- Believe in yourself.
Try being active first thing in the morning before you get busy.