You don’t need to spend a fortune to be physically active. You can be active in many ways without spending any money.
Here are a few ideas to get you moving for free.
Close to Home
- Get some exercise and socialize with friends while you walk the entire mall.
- Get your garden or yard in shape, and you’ll shape up, too.
- Make your own weights from household items — plastic milk jugs filled with sand or water, bags of rice, soup cans or bottles of water.
- Rather than driving, walk when doing errands.
In Your Community
- Try out free demonstration exercise classes at your local senior center or fitness center.
- Participate in community-sponsored fun runs or walks.
- Join a basketball or baseball league that plays at your community center.
In the Great Outdoors
- Go for a hike in a park.
- Learn about trees and plants while exploring a local arboretum.
- Help your community by participating in a stream clean-up effort.
All Year Round
- Borrow a bicycle and ride around the neighborhood to admire the spring flowers.
- Play an early-morning tennis match at your community courts in the summer.
- Jog through the park and breathe in the crisp fall air.
Be creative. The only limit to free physical activity opportunities is your imagination.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
Next Avenue is bringing you stories that are not only motivating and inspiring but are also changing lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?