You don’t need to spend a fortune to be physically active. You can be active in many ways without spending any money.
Here are a few ideas to get you moving for free.
Close to Home
- Get some exercise and socialize with friends while you walk the entire mall.
- Get your garden or yard in shape, and you’ll shape up, too.
- Make your own weights from household items — plastic milk jugs filled with sand or water, bags of rice, soup cans or bottles of water.
- Rather than driving, walk when doing errands.
In Your Community
- Try out free demonstration exercise classes at your local senior center or fitness center.
- Participate in community-sponsored fun runs or walks.
- Join a basketball or baseball league that plays at your community center.
In the Great Outdoors
- Go for a hike in a park.
- Learn about trees and plants while exploring a local arboretum.
- Help your community by participating in a stream clean-up effort.
All Year Round
- Borrow a bicycle and ride around the neighborhood to admire the spring flowers.
- Play an early-morning tennis match at your community courts in the summer.
- Jog through the park and breathe in the crisp fall air.
Be creative. The only limit to free physical activity opportunities is your imagination.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend: