Caroline Mayer is a consumer reporter who spent 25 years working for The Washington Post, covering such issues as product safety, scams, and credit cards. Mayer has received several awards, including the Betty Furness Consumer Media Service Award. She has written for Consumer Reports, CBS MoneyWatch, Ladies Home Journal, Kaiser Health News and others. Follow her on Twitter @consumermayer
more from Caroline Mayer
- When Magazines You Don't Want Clog Your Mailbox
- Don't Let a Crook Steal Your 2012 Tax Refund
- Best Ways to Save Money and Stay Safe in 2013
- How Not to Fall for Bogus 'Green' Claims
- 7 Secrets to Get Good Customer Service by Phone
- How to Become a Smarter Consumer and Save
- The Scam of All Scams: Sucker Lists
- The Truth About Those New Free Credit Scores
- When Your Parent With Alzheimer's Goes Wandering
- How Secure Are Your Medical Records?
- A Novel Resolution: Go On a Clothes-Shopping Diet
- Should You Sign Up for a Store's Card?
- Car Insurance and Homeowner's Discounts
- Tips for Medicare's Tricky Open Enrollment Season
- A Year After Sandy: How to Prepare for a Disaster
- You Got a $10,000 Hospital Bill. Now What?
- Are Daily Deal Sites Like Groupon Still Worth It?
- Out of Warranty but Not Out of Luck