Caroline Mayer is a consumer reporter who spent 25 years working for The Washington Post, covering such issues as product safety, scams, and credit cards. Mayer has received several awards, including the Betty Furness Consumer Media Service Award. She has written for Consumer Reports, CBS MoneyWatch, Ladies Home Journal, Kaiser Health News and others. Follow her on Twitter @consumermayer
more from Caroline Mayer
- The Best Ways to Donate to Help Disaster Victims
- After Oklahoma: How to Prepare for a Disaster
- Beware of 2 Travel Scams on Your Next Trip
- Watch Out for 'Senior Specialist' Financial Advisers
- Impostor Scams Are Soaring: How Not to Be a Victim
- Should You Buy Boomer Health Care Products?
- Forget Leaning In, Let's Talk About Leaning Out
- Don't Be Dumb About Smartphone Privacy
- Don't Let a Crook Steal Your 2012 Tax Refund
- 4 Costly Homeowner's Insurance Mistakes to Avoid
- Health Club Contracts: How to Avoid Overcharges
- Why Are Public Restrooms So Problematic?
- 6 Ways to Negotiate Lower Doctor Bills
- Perils of Posting Reviews on Yelp and Angie's List
- Best Ways to Save Money and Stay Safe in 2013
- Are You as Sick of Loud Music in Stores as I Am?
- Watch Out for Retirement Home, Timeshare Scams
- How to Get the Best Hotel Rooms and Service