Encore.org is published by Civic Ventures®, a nonprofit think tank on boomers, work and social purpose that is leading the call to engage millions of baby boomers as a vital workforce for change. Through an inventive program portfolio, original research, strategic alliances, and the power of people’s life stories, Civic Ventures demonstrates the value of experience in solving serious social problems — from education to the environment, health care to homelessness.
Civic Ventures’ Encore Careers campaign aims to engage millions of boomers in encore careers — combining personal meaning, continued income and social impact — to produce a windfall of human talent to solve society’s greatest problems. The campaign includes a prize for social innovators in their encore careers (The Purpose Prize), a fellows program for people transitioning to encore careers (the Encore Fellowships Network) and a program to encourage colleges to create and promote educational pathways to encore careers (the Encore College Initiative).
Civic Ventures was founded in 1997 by social entrepreneur Marc Freedman, author of The Big Shift: Navigating the New Stage Beyond Midlife. For more information, visit Encore.org.
Encore.org’s content on Next Avenue
- Finding a Purpose by Aiding Women Released From Prison
- Teach for America: It's Not Just for Twentysomethings
- A Better You for a Better World
- Shift Your Networking Skills Into High Gear
- Is Encore the New Women's Movement?
- Words of Wisdom to Anyone Eager to Start an Encore Career
- From Foot Surgery to a New Career Path
- Law Degree Earned Years Ago Leads to an Encore Career
- Turning Volunteer Work Into an Encore Career
- Layoff Leads to New Career as Job Counselor
- Finding Meaning by Helping Women in Poverty
- Fostering Business, Education and Health in Tanzania
- From Engineering Professor to Inventor
- Purpose Prize Winner Uses Experience as Mom
- Finding Purpose by Switching Sides in Foreclosures
- Purpose Prize Winner Finds New Ways to Help Foster Kids
- Quenching Thirst of Village in India Leads to Purpose Prize
- Medical Mission Provides Spark for Purpose Prize Winner