Family Caregiver Alliance
Family Caregiver Alliance is a public voice for caregivers, illuminating the daily challenges they face, offering them the assistance they so desperately need and deserve, and championing their cause through education, services, research and advocacy.
Who We Are
Founded in 1977, Family Caregiver Alliance was the first community-based nonprofit organization in the country to address the needs of families and friends providing long-term care at home. Long recognized as a pioneer in health services, the alliance offers programs at national, state and local levels to support and sustain caregivers.
National, State and Local Programs
Uniting research, policy and practice, the alliance established the National Center on Caregiving to advance the development of high-quality, cost effective programs and policies for caregivers in every state in the country. The National Center on Caregiving sponsors the Family Care Navigator to help caregivers locate support services in their communities. Family Caregiver Alliance also oversees Link2Care, an Internet support and information system for clients of California's system of Caregiver Resource Centers and operates the Bay Area Caregiver Resource Center in the six-county San Francisco Bay Area.
In that capacity, the alliance's staff social workers work closely with families caring for ill or elderly loved ones. Our services, education programs and publications are developed with their expressed needs in mind, to offer real support, essential information, and tools to manage the complex and demanding tasks of caregiving.
Family Caregiver Alliance’s content on Next Avenue
- New Tech Helps Families Manage Caregiving
- How to Balance Work and Caregiving Responsibilities
- A Frontotemporal Dementia Checklist for Family and Friends
- Home Away from Home: Relocating Your Parents
- What Is Frontotemporal Dementia?
- How to Deal With the Natural Process of Grieving After Loss
- Caring for Someone Who Is Cognitively Impaired
- 12 Frequently Asked Questions About Caregiving
- Sibling Rivalries Can Heat Up When Parents Need Caregiving
- 5 Ways to Make Caregiving Tasks Easier
- Facts: Moving a Parent Into Your Home
- How to Care for Parents With Your Siblings
- Real-Life Caregiving Strategies
- Prescription Problems: What to Look For
- How to Find the Best Residential Care
- 10 Tips for Connecting to Someone With Dementia
- 10 Steps to Get Started as a Caregiver
- How to Hold a Family Meeting to Plan Care