John Stark has held top writing and editing positions at such magazines as Cooks' Illustrated, Body + Soul and People. For 14 years, he was a feature writer and movie critic at the San Francisco Examiner/Chronicle. Follow John on Twitter @jrstark.
more from John Stark
- Remembering Julia Child: 'Come Sit Next to Me'
- The 'Downton Abbey' Death Count
- Q & A With American Idol Judge: Harry Connick Jr.
- Why Barbra Is Still the Greatest Star
- TV's Funny Ladies Show Their Serious Sides
- How a Piece of Shrapnel Changed My Father's Life
- PBS's 'Great Performances' Salutes 40 Years
- The Value of Having Friends Older Than You
- I'm a Guy and I'm Having Hot Flashes!
- Saying Hello to Valerie Harper
- Don't Ask What Books Are on My Coffee Table!
- The Amazing Gift I Got for My 65th Birthday
- Why I Went Back to College
- How to Have Flair at Any Age
- The Many Steps to Coming Home
- 'American Idol' Votes for Integrity: Why Harry Connick Jr. Became the Newest Judge
- The Last Tomato of Summer
- Why Boomers Need to Ride Roller Coasters