John Stark has held top writing and editing positions at such magazines as Cooks' Illustrated, Body + Soul and People. For 14 years, he was a feature writer and movie critic at the San Francisco Examiner/Chronicle. Follow John on Twitter @jrstark.
more from John Stark
- Man vs. Nature: My Tarzan Story
- Sixtysomething Drivers Are Getting a Bum Rap
- The Best Reasons for Going to the Movies Alone
- The Best Way to See Fireworks Is Above the Fray
- My Father's Active Retirement and Why I Plan to Follow in His Footsteps
- Summer's 20 Most Unusual Holidays!
- How a Piece of Shrapnel Changed My Father's Life
- Remembering Julia Child: 'Come Sit Next to Me'
- The 'Downton Abbey' Death Count
- Q & A With American Idol Judge: Harry Connick Jr.
- Why Barbra Is Still the Greatest Star
- TV's Funny Ladies Show Their Serious Sides
- PBS's 'Great Performances' Salutes 40 Years
- The Value of Having Friends Older Than You
- I'm a Guy and I'm Having Hot Flashes!
- Saying Hello to Valerie Harper
- Don't Ask What Books Are on My Coffee Table!
- The Amazing Gift I Got for My 65th Birthday