Some people can plunge into a new project without planning ahead. Others find that writing a plan is helpful and keeps them on track.
Here are a few reasons an exercise and physical activity plan might be a good idea.
A Plan Can Help You:
- Stay motivated to include physical activity as part of your daily life. Get an exercise buddy or buddies to help keep you motivated and maintain your exercise routine.
- Be organized so you can fit exercise and physical activity into your current lifestyle.
- Get ready to be more active. Do you need to get new exercise shoes or clothes? Do you need equipment, like weights or a tennis racket? Will you have expenses (like health club fees) that you need to fit into your budget?
What to Include in Your Physical Activity Plan:
- Your reasons for being physically active.
- Your short- and long-term goals.
- The activities you plan to do.
- When, where, and with whom you will be active.
- Things you need to do to get started and keep going.
Make It a Plan That Works:
- Be realistic based on how physically active you are now.
- Be specific in the details.
- Include a weekly worksheet that details your activities.
- Review and update your plan regularly. Adjust your plan as needed.
This material is provided by Go4Life, the exercise and physical activity campaign for adults over 50 from the National Institute on Aging at NIH.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- How to Get Back Into a Regular Exercise Routine
- Keep Up on the Exercise to Keep Up with the Grandkids
- Find a Fitness Trainer to Get the Most Out of Workouts
- Restart Your Fitness Engine — Now!
Next Avenue is bringing you stories that are not only motivating and inspiring but are also changing lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?