Being physically active with your family is a great way to stay healthy and make exercise fun.
Whether you play team sports with the entire family or take brisk walks with your spouse, children or grandchildren, you’ll be rewarded with improved health and time spent together.
Family gatherings are the perfect time for team sports and outdoor activities.
- Choose teams for softball, basketball or kickball.
- Sign up for family tournaments to play tennis, bowling or volleyball.
- Go biking, fishing or hiking at a nearby park.
- If you live near water, try sailing, canoeing or rafting.
Family members can make great exercise buddies.
- Take yoga or water aerobics classes.
- Ping pong is fun for a twosome.
- Our pets are family! Brisk walks with a canine buddy are healthy for both of you.
Build a healthy lifestyle that includes your grandchildren.
- Push them on swings (after walking to the playground).
- Play catch.
- Jump rope together.
- Build a fort indoors or out.
Family gatherings are often built around meals. Keep family meals healthy during special occasions with fresh vegetables, lean meats, and low-fat or fat-free cheeses and dressings.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- 4 Types of Exercise Every Adult Needs
- Find an Exercise That’s Enjoyable
- Your Dog Can Be Your Best Friend for a Healthier Lifestyle
Next Avenue brings you stories that are inspiring and change lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?