If you’ve decided to become more active but want some extra help, working with a fitness trainer may be just the thing. A trainer can help you choose exercises that are right for you and show you how to do them safely.
Here are some tips to help you find a fitness trainer.
- Ask friends, family or your health care provider for a recommendation.
- Check with local health clubs or senior centers to see if they have trainers on staff or can recommend someone.
Once you have a couple of names, here are a few questions to help you pick the right person.
Is the Trainer:
- Certified by an accredited organization?
- Experienced or educated in exercise science, aging and program design?
- Experienced in working with people of your age and/or with your medical condition?
- Comfortable working with the medical community?
Does the Trainer:
- Have a passion for working with older adults?
- Listen carefully to you and answer your questions?
- Have a sense of humor and a personality that you like?
Has the Trainer:
- Told you what you can expect from the sessions?
- Clearly explained the cost of the sessions and the cancellation policy?
- Stated that he or she is insured or bonded?
- Given you a list of clients so you can check references?
If you answered “yes” to most of these questions, the trainer could be a great fit! Ask for one or two trial sessions.
This material is provided by Go4Life, the exercise and physical activity campaign for adults over 50 from the National Institute on Aging at NIH.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Restart Your Fitness Engine — Now!
- How to Get Back Into a Regular Exercise Routine
- 4 Types of Exercise Every Adult Needs
- Why I Went AWOL From Exercise Boot Camp
Next Avenue is bringing you stories that are not only motivating and inspiring but are also changing lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?