This recipe is a selection from TPT Cooks: Hotdishes & Casseroles, the companion cookbook to the program TPT Cooks: Hotdish!, which aired on Twin Cities Public Television.
TPT held an open call for recipes for its first cookbook, spotlighting home-cooking, specifically hot dishes and casseroles. The response was terrific, and TPT collected dozens of recipes from viewers for the cookbook celebrating every Minnesotan's traditional meal, the Hot Dish.
Submitted by Elizabeth Fabel
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 large tomatoes, peeled and pureed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups fresh or frozen corn
3 zucchini, chopped
1/3 cup water
10 corn tortillas
2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup crema or creme fraiche
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
1 cup grated Manchego cheese
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- In medium skillet, heat oil. Saute onion and garlic until transparent. Add tomatoes and salt. Cook over high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10 more minutes.
- In large saucepan, melt butter. Add corn and zucchini; cook 2 minutes. Add water. Cover and reduce heat. Cook 8 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
- Grease bottom of 13×9-inch baking dish with butter. Spread a thin layer of vegetables in dish, top with five tortillas. Spread half of tomato sauce over tortillas. Layer half of remaining vegetables, half the poblanos, 1/2 cup crema, half the chicken, and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Hotdish: Eggplant With Yogurt Sauce
- Hotdish: Modified Mama Rose’s Rigatoni
- Hotdish: Scalloped Potato Casserole
- Hotdish: Pumpkin Pie Goulash Casserole
Next Avenue brings you stories that are inspiring and change lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?