This recipe is a selection from TPT Cooks: Hotdishes & Casseroles, the companion cookbook to the program TPT Cooks: Hotdish!, which aired on Twin Cities Public Television.
TPT held an open call for recipes for its first-ever cookbook, spotlighting home-cooking, specifically hot dishes and casseroles. The response was terrific, and TPT collected dozens of recipes from viewers for the cookbook celebrating every Minnesotan's traditional meal, the hot dish.
Modified Mama Rose's Rigatoni
Submitted by Margaret Michaletz
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
8 cups diced tomatoes
3/4 cup tomato paste
5 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons dried basil
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 (1 pound) package uncooked rigatoni pasta
2-3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
grated Parmesan cheese
- In Dutch oven, brown meat and oil; add onion. Saute for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Simmer with cover ajar for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450º F. Cook rigatoni until almost done; drain. Spray 13×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange pasta in pan; pour sauce over pasta and mix well. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20 minutes. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Hotdish: Mexican Casserole
- Hotdish: Polish Noodles and Cabbage
- Hotdish: Pumpkin Pie Goulash Casserole
- Hotdish: Eggplant With Yogurt Sauce
Next Avenue brings you stories that are inspiring and change lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?