This recipe is a selection from TPT Cooks: Hotdishes & Casseroles, the companion cookbook to the program TPT Cooks: Hotdish!, which aired on Twin Cities Public Television.
TPT held an open call for recipes for its first cookbook, spotlighting home-cooking, specifically hot dishes and casseroles. The response was terrific, and TPT collected dozens of recipes from viewers for the cookbook celebrating every Minnesotan's traditional meal, the Hot Dish.
Polish Noodles and Cabbage
Submitted by Paulette Angvall
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cups sliced cabbage
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (8 ounce) package uncooked bow tie noodles or Kluski noodles (Polish egg noodles)
1/2 cup sour cream
- In large skillet, melt butter. Saute onion until soft. Add cabbage; saute for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the caraway seed, salt and pepper.
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water; drain well. Stir noodles into cabbage mixture; add sour cream. Cook 5 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Hotdish: Scalloped Potato Casserole
- Hotdish: Spinach-Three Cheese Casserole
- Hotdish: Modified Mama Rose’s Rigatoni
- Hotdish: Tomato and Bacon Casserole
Next Avenue is bringing you stories that are not only motivating and inspiring but are also changing lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?