This recipe is a selection from TPT Cooks: Hotdishes & Casseroles, the companion cookbook to the program TPT Cooks: Hotdish!, which aired on Twin Cities Public Television.
TPT held an open call for recipes for its first cookbook, spotlighting home cooking, specifically hot dishes and casseroles. The response was terrific, and TPT collected dozens of recipes from viewers for the cookbook celebrating every Minnesotan's traditional meal, the Hot Dish.
Scalloped Potato Hotdish
Submitted by Mollie Kirby
2 pounds potatoes (6 medium)
1 cup diced or shredded cooked ham
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 cups 2% low-fat milk
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish. Peel potatoes and thinly slice. Layer potatoes in casserole with ham and onion.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Add half of cheese, salt and pepper. Pour sauce over potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 70 minutes or until potatoes are soft when tested with a fork. Several minutes before it's done, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand several minutes before serving.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Hotdish: Eggplant With Yogurt Sauce
- Hotdish: Modified Mama Rose’s Rigatoni
- Hotdish: Spinach-Three Cheese Casserole
- Hotdish: Pumpkin Pie Goulash Casserole
Next Avenue brings you stories that are inspiring and change lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?