This recipe is a selection from TPT Cooks: Hotdishes & Casseroles, the companion cookbook to the program TPT Cooks: Hotdish!, which aired on Twin Cities Public Television.
TPT held an open call for recipes for its first cookbook, spotlighting home-cooking, specifically hot dishes and casseroles. The response was terrific, and TPT collected dozens of recipes from viewers for the cookbook celebrating every Minnesotan's traditional meal, the Hot Dish.
Tomato and Bacon Hotdish
Submitted by David Preston
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
6 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 dashes cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Cut bacon into half-inch pieces. In medium skillet, cook bacon. Drain bacon and remove half of fat. In skillet with remaining fat, cook onion and garlic. Add cooked bacon, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- In casserole dish, mix cooked macaroni and tomato mixture. Bake for 20 minutes.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Hotdish: Corned Beef Casserole
- Hotdish: Modified Mama Rose’s Rigatoni
- Hotdish: Polish Noodles and Cabbage
- Hotdish: Scalloped Potato Casserole
Next Avenue is bringing you stories that are not only motivating and inspiring but are also changing lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?