This recipe is a selection from TPT Cooks: Hotdishes & Casseroles, the companion cookbook to the program TPT Cooks: Hotdish!, which aired on Twin Cities Public Television.
TPT held an open call for recipes for its first cookbook, spotlighting home-cooking, specifically hot dishes and casseroles. The response was terrific, and TPT collected dozens of recipes from viewers for the cookbook celebrating every Minnesotan's traditional meal, the hot dish.
Turkey Pot Pie
Submitted by Dorothy O'Brien
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons shortening
4-5 tablespoons cold water
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup Pepperidge Farm dressing
2 cups diced cooked turkey
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
4 cups turkey gravy, heated
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Grease a 13×9-inch baking pan.
- In bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cold water, 1 tablespoon, at a time until dough is moistened. Form into a ball; roll into a 13×9-inch rectangle.
- In large saucepan, melt butter. Saute onion and celery. Add dressing; toss until well mixed. Layer turkey, prepared dressing and vegetables in baking pan; pour gravy over entire casserole.
- Place pastry over top of baking pan; seal edges, make 2 slits in top of pastry. Bake 1 hour or until crust is golden brown.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Hotdish: Corned Beef Casserole
- Hotdish: Mexican Casserole
- Hotdish: Modified Mama Rose’s Rigatoni
- Hotdish: Scalloped Potato Casserole
Next Avenue brings you stories that are inspiring and change lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?