Are you considering adding exercise to your daily routine? Or do you want to increase your exercise level significantly?
There’s a safe way for almost everyone to be more active. Even if you have a health condition, there are exercises you can do that offer great health benefits.
One way to get started is to talk with your doctor about the exercises and physical activities that are best for you. If you have a specific health issue that you are concerned about, ask your doctor for some tips to help you exercise safely. Here are some questions to consider:
- Are there any exercises or activities I should avoid? Your doctor can make recommendations based on your health history, keeping in mind any recent surgeries and ongoing health conditions such as arthritis, diabetes or heart disease. This would be a great time to check with your doctor about any unexplained symptoms you’ve been experiencing, such as chest pain or pressure, joint pain, dizziness or shortness of breath. Your doctor may recommend postponing exercise until the problem is diagnosed and treated.
- Is my preventive care up to date? Your doctor can tell you if there are any tests you might need. For example, women over age 65 should be checked regularly for osteoporosis.
- How does my health condition affect my ability to exercise? Some health conditions can affect your exercise routine. For example, people with arthritis may need to avoid some types of activity, especially when joints are swollen or inflamed. Those with diabetes may need to adjust their daily schedule, meal plan or medications when planning their activities. Your doctor can talk to you about any adjustments you need to make to ensure that you get the most out of your new exercise routine.
This material is provided by Go4Life, the exercise and physical activity campaign for adults over 50 from the National Institute on Aging at NIH.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- How to Get Back Into a Regular Exercise Routine
- Find a Fitness Trainer to Get the Most Out of Workouts
- 4 Types of Exercise Every Adult Needs
- Restart Your Fitness Engine — Now!
Next Avenue brings you stories that are inspiring and change lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?