You have an excellent resume. Your senior-level, for-profit business experience is outstanding. But will it count in the much different world of nonprofits?
Bridgestar, which specializes in matching private sector talent with social sector opportunities, has this advice to recast your resume for your encore career:
Emphasize your transferable skills and nonprofit experience
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Have I articulated my experience clearly and emphasized the transferability of my skills from the for-profit sector to the nonprofit sector?
- Have I described fully and prominently all of my experience in the nonprofit sector, including any I may have gained as a volunteer, board member or committee member?
- Have I included descriptions of the companies I have worked for if their names might be unfamiliar to someone outside my field?
- Have I removed jargon that may only be understandable or relevant to someone in my previous field?
Be driven by mission and results
Recast your resume by:
- Including an objective at the top to help nonprofit hiring managers quickly assess you for opportunities in a specific functional area
- Using a consistent format for both your professional and volunteer histories, helping the reader look at your experience holistically across sectors
- Using a “results” bullet in each job description to call attention to and quantify your accomplishments, presenting the picture of a capable, results-oriented person who can be effective in a variety of settings
- Including a "career profile" at the top of your resume to put your nonprofit experience on a par with your professional history and highlight your skills that are highly transferable across sectors
- Providing extensive detail on your community experience first, rather than crowding it into a line or two at the bottom of your resume
This article was originally published by Encore.org on Jan 20, 2009.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Put Your Retirement Plan Back on Track
- Put a Unique Focus on Your Résumé to Make an Impact
- Change the World With a Second Career
Next Avenue is bringing you stories that are not only motivating and inspiring but are also changing lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?
Encore.org is published by Civic Ventures. Reprinted with permission. © Civic Ventures. All rights reserved.