At times, almost everyone can use a personal cheerleader for encouragement, inspiration, and even celebration when they successfully meet their goals.
Cheering on a friend or family member who wants to be more physically active can be a great way to show your support — and it’s easy to do.
Here are a few tips.
Be open and listen.
- For some people, becoming physically active is a big change. Applaud that first step and continue to reinforce the decision to be active.
- Listen to the challenges, brainstorm solutions, offer a pat on the back, and celebrate progress.
Help it happen.
- Go along to buy new shoes or workout clothes or to try an exercise class.
- Volunteer to take over a household errand to make time for your friend to go to her weekly basketball game.
Join in the fun.
- Walking together is a wonderful way to be active and catch up with a friend.
- Try activities that are just right for two — dance lessons or doubles tennis.
- Challenge your friend to a weekly ping-pong game. Be supportive if interruptions occur.
- Travel, illness, and work can get in the way of physical activity. Work together to find ways to get back on track as soon as possible.
A Few Don’ts
- Don’t push too hard. People need to start out at a pace that’s right for them and build up from there.
- Don’t be judgmental. Negative comments about appearance or performance can quickly halt efforts to be active.
Try making a contract with a friend to become physically active. It can help you both stick to an exercise program.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Build Up to a Safe and Successful Exercise Program
- Family Fun Can Keep You in Shape and in Touch
- Find an Exercise That’s Enjoyable
- 4 Types of Exercise Every Adult Needs
Next Avenue brings you stories that are inspiring and change lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?