Happy birthday, Joan Baez! The folk singer and activist turns 75 on Saturday, January 9.
5 Things You Might Not Know About Joan Baez
- Baez has performed in every decade since the 1950s (seven decades now!)
- She has released 30 albums
- Baez is fluent in Spanish and English, and has recorded songs in six languages
- She’s known as a folk singer, but since the ’60s has diversified into country, gospel and pop music
- Baez has long been a humanitarian, and Amnesty International now gives out the annual Joan Baez Award for Outstanding Inspirational Service in the Global Fight for Human Rights
Joan Baez’s Biggest Hits (according to Billboard)
No. 8: We Shall Overcome
No. 7: Love Is Just a Four-Letter Word
No. 6: In the Quiet Morning
No. 5: Blue Sky
No. 4: There But for Fortune
No. 3: Let It Be
No. 2: Diamonds and Rust
No. 1: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
Which are YOUR favorites?
Next Avenue is bringing you stories that are not only motivating and inspiring but are also changing lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?