This recipe is a selection from TPT Cooks: Hotdishes & Casseroles, the companion cookbook to the program TPT Cooks: Hotdish!, which aired on Twin Cities Public Television.
TPT held an open call for recipes for its first cookbook, spotlighting home-cooking, specifically hot dishes and casseroles. The response was terrific, and TPT collected dozens of recipes from viewers for the cookbook celebrating every Minnesotan's traditional meal, the hot dish.
Spinach-Three Cheese Casserole
Submitted by Joyce Johnson
2 bunches fresh spinach, washed, stems removed and sliced or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter, divided
4 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 cups cooked white or brown rice
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cook spinach if using fresh; squeeze dry. (If using frozen, thaw and squeeze dry). Place spinach in large bowl.
- In small skillet, saute garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until light brown. Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter; melt. Pour butter-garlic over spinach. Stir in Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, salt and pepper.
- Spread cooked rice into a 1 1/2-quart shallow pan; top with spinach mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until cheeses are melted and blended. Cover evenly with sliced mozzarella. Broil about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly brown.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Hotdish: Eggplant With Yogurt Sauce
- Hotdish: Modified Mama Rose’s Rigatoni
- Hotdish: Scalloped Potato Casserole
- Hotdish: Tomato and Bacon Casserole
Next Avenue is bringing you stories that are not only motivating and inspiring but are also changing lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?