December can be a cruel month for job seekers. It seems everyone else is enjoying holiday parties
and office toasts while you are walking the streets. Your email gets quiet. The phone doesn't ring.
It is easy to miss out on the joy of the holidays when your job search goes cold and your stress is on the rise. But it doesn't have to be that way.
Here are ten steps to kickstart your job hunt in the month of December.
1. Set up appointments during the week between Christmas and New Year. Plenty of people
are still in the office and chances are they have some free time. This is a terrific time to meet with people when they aren't rushed. Not everyone will be around, so spread your net wide and nail down some meetings.
3. Expand your social media footprint
. Social is a great way to connect with thought leaders in your industry and learn more about companies you want to work for. Follow new people on Twitter
. Join groups on LinkedIn. Even Facebook
is a great way to keep in touch with industry colleagues. Sign up for a new social platform
and make new connections. But don't stop there. Post items relevant to your line of work. Comment. Listen. Engage.
6. Start a blog
. You have expertise; showcase it and share it with the world. Blogging
is a great way to grow your online reputation. WordPress
and other services offer great tools that will have you up and blogging in minutes.
7. Keep in touch with people. The holidays are a great time to write catch-up emails to your friends and colleagues. You don't need a reason other than to wish them well. While you're at it, suggest a get-together.
8. Offer yourself up as holiday relief
. Plenty of companies may need seasonal help or vacation filli-ins. What starts as a three-day assignment may lead to more work
or even a job.
9. Prep for January. Plenty of folks will ask to meet after the holidays. Say "Yes" and set a date. Nothing feels better than sprinting into the new year with a host of meetings on the calendar.
10. Take some time for yourself
. Yes, you deserve a break. Remember to celebrate
the holidays with family and friends. Unemployment is only temporary, but great memories of holidays well-celebrated last forever.
Good luck and happy hunting! Enjoy the holidays.
Bill Hartnett is a contributor for AOLJobs.com who is on the hunt for a full-time job. This article which appeared originally on AOLJobs.com is reprinted with permission.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
Next Avenue brings you stories that are inspiring and change lives. We know that because we hear it from our readers every single day. One reader says,
"Every time I read a post, I feel like I'm able to take a single, clear lesson away from it, which is why I think it's so great."
Your generous donation will help us continue to bring you the information you care about. What story will you help make possible?
© Twin Cities Public Television - 2020. All rights reserved.